My Favorite Parenting Books
Parenting is such a gift, privilege, and honor. It's also HARD. I don’t care how old your kids are and how “good” they are, parenting is filled with life's lessons, selfless actions, “unrewarded” efforts, and daily doses of opportunities for grace. If there’s one thing I steal in life it would be ideas, wisdom, and insight from those who have gone before and so gracefully share their experiences and stories. The day we found out we were pregnant with our first son, I bought my first parenting book. As much as I dreamed of being a mom, I wasn’t prepared for all the help I’d need on the other side. Eight years later, I’ve read dozens of books, attended parenting classes, and listened to countless podcasts and audiobooks. In case you’re on the hunt for some encouragement or a gift for a friend, here are a few of the most helpful and influential books I’ve come across. While some of them are boy-specific there is so much to take away from any of them!
- Boy Mom: What Your Son Needs Most from You by Monica Swanson
- The Lifegiving Parent: Giving Your Child a Life Worth Living for Christ by Sally Clarkson
- The Lifegiving Home: Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming by Sally Clarkson
- Strong Mothers, Strong Sons: Lessons Mothers Need to Raise Extraordinary Men by Meg Meeker, MD
- Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living by Shauna Niequist
- Grace-Based Parenting: Set Your Family Tree by Dr. Tim Kemmel
- Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys by Stephen James and David Thomas (*David Thomas is also part of one of my favorite parenting podcasts - Raising Boys and Girls)
- The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind by Daniel J. Siegel MD, Tina Payne Bryson PhD
Go check them out and let me know what you think. Have a favorite I should add to my list? I’m always looking for a new read or listen - send me your favorite at [email protected] or send me a DM on Instagram @annicafischer.
Want a copy of my Top 10 Self-Coaching Questions?
You don't have to hire a coach or text a friend (and you can do them in your pj's).
P.S. Did I mention they're free?
No one has time for SPAM. We won't send any your way.